Monday, March 9, 2009

Hey, you know, I'm...

(Actually, the above title has no relevance at all other than my wondering if I can actively write a sentence via title quotes backwards so that you get one long (and likely somewhat muddled) sentence in reverse-chronological order.  Just think on that, it'll make sense eventually.)

Hot news for the water cooler crowd today was the Watchmen movie.  Like many other nerdtypes I have been very much looking forward to the Hollywood adaption of Alan Moore's delightfully glum vigilante tale.  Of course there many were reservations and "what ifs" before the actual veiwing, but really, by the end of the two-and-three-quarter hours, the movie had accomplished as much as any other potential Watchmen movie could/may/has done.  It was solid, the casting was superb, and there's a couple of really spectacular and shiny moments that is going to make the DVD purchase essential.

Yes, there were obvious parts missing, but I don't think their absence hurt the movie at all; I actually think some parts that are missing would have weighed the movie down too much.  There's time for some things on paper, and time for other things on film, and I think Mr Snyder assessed these elements and did what he thought was best for his medium.  (I guess I could go more in depth, but lacking any sort of proficient command of Blogger I have no idea how to do LJ-style cuts to hide teasers behind.)

In more apocalyptic related news, I started Fallout 3 on the weekend.  I didn't think so many shades of brown and grey could look so pretty.  I'm playing a swaggering cowboy-sawbones cliche that likes explosives a little too much, which usually results in everything within a certain radius exploding by the word "What?" and then having to forego any form of reward due to the guilt that wells up as I realise I also took out half of the captives I was attempting to save.

What fun!

I mousetrapped our first mousecular visitor yesterday.  At least he had a nice feed of peanut butter before, y'know, snap.

-Anthony


later cecil!  we knew ye not, 'cept for your little rodent tail

No comments:

Post a Comment