Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You got me.

I don't know.

It's a simple sentence.  The words make sense, I know what they mean individually and collectively, but the last few weeks I've tripped up a few times using it, having to explain myself soon after.  At some stage - I don't know when* - the phrase has turned to passive-aggressive negativity.  Consider the following;

"I swear; I saw him with Estelle down by the corner only an hour ago."
"I don't know if I believe that," said Marcy.

What Marcy really meant to say (and potentially should have said);

"I swear; I saw him with Estelle down by the corner only an hour ago."
"I don't think I believe that," said Marcy.

The second option is the true explanation of Marcy's meaning, yet nearly everyone, anywhere, for anything, the first option is used.  'I don't know' doesn't mean that you are unsure of the implications or decisions, it means you actually don't agree but you won't say so outright.

Three times now, in two weeks, I've had to amend my statement of "I don't know..." with "and by that, I mean I actually don't know."  It's been strange.  Is it so rare for someone to admit they don't fully understand what's going on that these words have had their collective meaning changed?

So you should all know, I'm taking it back.  'I Don't Know - I Mean It.'  I'm not disagreeing with you, I honestly haven't yet decided.  For the befuddled and absent-minded.  For the indecisive.  For the fence-sitters, I'm taking it back.

I don't know.

In other binding news, I proposed to Vicky on Monday night.  Depending on who's telling the story, it was either all rather cute or very poorly time-managed!

-Anthony

* Unintentional, I swear.


quick, while she's distracted by a fly

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't matter how to happened, it's always cute mate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Anthony!

    I'm sure it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and very suprising-timed (if thats the right phrase)....me one happy swashbucket or whatever it is ;) plerrr i'm sick*

    * not sick as in mentally disturbed..sick as in cold/flu sick..just to clear that up

    ReplyDelete