Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ubuntu.

I was talking today with someone about the different virtues Western societies promote compared to non-Western societies. In particular what came up regularly was the idea of isolation common in capitalist societies - the idea that a person's value is demonstrated by how well they can stand on their own two feet without the support of others.

The thought behind this is that a person's self-worth is more inherently valuable to the society when that person can survive and provide within their own means. They do not drain from the others around them, and are therefore not a liability to the societal economy. This is well evidenced by the value we place on economic-based milestones through early development; first bank accounts, pocket money, mandatory tax file number registration at high school. Most people consider moving out of their family's home to be the equivalent of a coming-of-age rite. It's when we get to feel like a Big Person.


This was then compared to non-Western philosophies of community; in particular this person had good experience with South African ideas of community and family. He told me that in parts of the world that don't emulate American economies, the idea of self-worth isn't inherit in what you achieve by yourself, but what you achieve as part of a group. The word he used was "ubuntu", and described it as the sense of belonging to a family and fulfilling your role in that family unit by being open, giving and true of yourself.

When people act within the group in a true manner, with ubuntu in mind I assume, they give and provide to the group by being honest, fulfill their obligations by doing what they were naturally made to do. As there is no value apportioned to self-worth individually, the value of giving and providing to the community is no longer about economical value (what has been earned and traded), but of the generosity and values imparted with the gift.

This has the additional benefit then of valuing the act of giving more than the economy of receiving. Compare this to our tribe; when we go to buy presents, we stress so much about the receiver's perception of the gift's value. "Are they going to like it? Did I spend enough? Do they already have it?" By then we have forgotten the important part of the gift - our thoughts, time and intentions.

I know I've been told a few times that the most important gift someone can give is their time. And I know I've personally sacrificed time on many occasions to earn additional self-value, often in the form of additional wealth. As to when the time spent overbalanced the value earned, I couldn't tell you, but it definitely has happened at some stage or other. Sleepless nights from previous employers have proved that.

The thing is, I value my self-worth and my ability to work. I value my mixture of creative and business processes. And I also quite like what I understand of our capitalist economy. But I also appreciate the value of a community that shares its time and value to the benefit of its members with no other motive than to further the community.

I want to create this kind of tribe around me, I think. Where no person who fulfills their duty is a liability, regardless of it's apparent worth to an outside system. I'm not certain I can marry this idea yet with my plans of enterprise, but I'll let you know when I do.

-Anthony


i bunt you too [heart]

No comments:

Post a Comment