Thursday, June 10, 2010

The importance of clean underwear.

Over a month ago now my wife and I were involved in a car accident. We are both thankfully fine and have since moved on, but at the time it felt pretty horrific. My in-laws took us to the Joondalup emergency ward after we had moved my poor little car off the main road; I had insisted we go due to my wife's pregnancy, and my wife insisted because of some little thing about me not being able to move my neck.

One of the key memories I have of this experience is lying on a hospital bed with a neck-brace on and sandbags around my head, my beautiful wife standing on one side and a cute nurse on the other, both of them pulling at my jeans and telling me to stop fidgeting. And despite the frustration of having to lie still and not being able to move, and the concern for what my x-rays were going to come back with, at that time the only thought I had was; "Gosh, it's a good thing I put good undies on this morning".

The important things in life, huh?


So quite a bit later, once the nerves had settled and I could look at my car's smooshed boot with my stomach dropping, I started thinking about fundamental things I do every day. What actions do I make day-in day-out without compromise, and how many do I cut a few corners with? It can be so easy these days, when there's one thousand other things that need to be done, to say "You know, that's good enough".

There's going to be a time though that a cut corner is going to cost me. I'm not going to know when, it'll be unexpected, just like that car accident. But sooner or later something will happen, and what will determine how well I can manage that situation will be how well I have done my fundamentals. Is my filing done correctly? Did I send the confirmation emails to everyone? Have I returned that overdue phone call?

Am I wearing clean underwear?

[TL;DR] Don't compromise your daily minutiae. One day you'll be thankful that you did it right the first time.

-Anthony


you're dropping your f'ing oranges

No comments:

Post a Comment