Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dollars and sense.

Even though I was intending on taking a day off today, I still had to poke around the RocketHands sales figures for RocketFuse and do some number-crunching.

After some mathematiculating and investigation, it seems Apple is withholding the GST from our sales and intends to "remit to the competent authorities", which means the ATO in this case*. Although this is a nice gesture, I'm not entirely certain it fits into the ATO's Grand Scheme of things - at what stage does the ATO reconcile the GST amounts declared and unpaid by the developers to the lump sum provided by Apple? As far as I'm aware, there's no other company that offers to remit GST made payable by a separate party potentially before the tax has been declared.

What's concerning for me though is that I can't find much discussion about this anywhere amongst Australian developers, and the few I did see are pretty misinformed (ie. "I dont know, but you should assume what Apple gives you is gross". Try using a calculator, people!). How many developers are paying their sales GST twice just because of all this murkiness?

I'll be calling the ATO tomorrow to see if someone can clear this up for me.

In other non-Apple news, I can't sign in to XBox Live because I once tried MSN Messenger six years ago and Windows Live! thinks my iinet.net.au email account should be a Hotmail account or some humbug. Lame, I was planning on settling in to Shadow Complex tonight.

-Anthony

*That low-hanging fruit's too easy, even for me.


my dog thinks you smell like money

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for calculators! Both the people and the objects.

    Also, I notice I'm on your blogroll now! Win, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No probs!, I don't know why I hadn't linked you earlier to be honest.

    ReplyDelete