Wednesday, March 25, 2009

North by magnetic north.

So I kind of always figured I had a moral compass, but I didn't think it would point so dominantly while working in a corporate environment.  There's been a number of times in my job that I've dealt with the "bad feeling in my stomach" and I'm pleased (and just as surprised, honestly) that the feelings have been right on the money each time.

My theory is that this has come about due to my actively learning where my boundaries lie, something I hadn't known or thought of until I found myself under Nick's management.  Until I took my most recent position I didn't even think of myself having boundaries, let alone knowing how far (or close) they were to how I carried myself.

Boundaries aren't necessarily fashionable at the moment; we need to have everything and all right here and now, be prepared to do everything at the whim of whomever's one step ahead of us, just so at the end of the day we've been able to take one more step to advance the greater picture.  This seems to play in almost every circle I involve myself in at the moment - political, corporate, social.  If we do not go past one more stack of paperwork, if we cannot be satisfied with temporary mediocrity, if we will not divulge our selves entirely to the gaping bottomlessness of social networking, what are we?  Not a team player, not socially conscious, not... human?

I disagree with this to the extent that it implies boundaries by their definition are bad.  A boundary that is not noticed, evaluated and revised can hamper development, true, but once acknowledged it is better to know where you can stand safely today and work on moving the line a little further another day.  Boundaries are not weakness, they're not ineptitude nor unwillingness -- as a work in progress, a boundary is merely a marker in the sand to say "I'm here today, but I'll be there tomorrow."

I now have a fair idea of my lines and where I stand on any number of issues.  I know if I get that "feeling" I should take a step back and take another look at the situation to see what I'm missing or don't like.  I guess what's weirding me now is that I am coming to decisions that I feel I should perhaps tread more carefully around, but there's no sign of the uneasiness.  I know  exactly where I stand and what I will fight for, and my boundary is nowhere in sight.

Choose your battles, I guess.

In other explosive news, man, TF2 is just plain fun and on high rotation at the moment.  Although, despite the eloquent Tim's advice, I seem much better at helping other dudes blow up enemies than doing the murderin' myself.  HMMM.

-Anthony


just tap e and i'll be there

3 comments:

  1. Go with that 'ol rumblin in thy stomach sweetheart. I'll wipe it up if it turns out wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anthony, here you are! Why did I not find you before.

    Totally bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim! I was hiding behind the couch, hope you don't mind.

    Thanks for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete